Gastronomic Delights of Chennai
Supposing one were to leave chennai for a prolonged period of time, I am wondering what would be the gastronomic delights one would miss, more speficically in terms of places to eat which are not available outside. This clearly rules out the big hotels like Saravana Bhavan and Anjappar. Such places infact offer better value for money outside the country rather than in chennai. Here is my list of provisional gastronomic delights I would miss in Chennai.
1)Pichu Pillai Street idiyappam
2)Masala Dosai outside Brilliant Tutorials
3) Badam Milk at Kakkada Ramprasad (mint Street)
4) Bhajji/Bonda from any roadside tea kadai along with a glass of tea.
5) The single tea and butter biscuit once again from any roadside tea kadai
6) Sundal along with spicy raw mango from the beach
7) Late night sandwiches at alsa mall, or royal sandwich shop on TTK road, or else from Richie Street. The one from Richie street has a special kara chutney which isn’t used in the other two places, this gives the sandwich a distinctly spicy taste.
8) Chinees food from any roadside shop, or else for those who require dine in, I would suggest Mandrin opposite Gangotri.
9) Novelty Pav Bhajji
10) A Unlimited Andhra Meal at National Lodge, either at the Parry’s Corner or General Patters Road Branch (this is not a roadside shop, but a proper restaurant, but I did miss this while I was away from the city)
11) Lime Juice at Palimar next to the IG’s
12) The sweet beda from the pan shop outside Eden on Besant Nagar. This guy makes the best sweet beda I’ve tasted, this was 6 months ago, has the quality changed in that period?
13) Bhajji from the Jannal Kadai in Mathala Narayanan Theru, Myalpore. When Bhajji is mentioned, 9 out of 10 people will associate it with the beach, frankly, I find the chutney served along with the Bhajji there to be pale in comparision to the chutney given in this shop. The quality of the bhajji does not vary too much, its the chutney which makes me list this shop over bhajji at the beach.
14) Tomato Mushroom soup from Marina early in the morning
Satish suggests I include Ratna Café to my list. Yes the hotel is legendry and famous for its Sambhar idly. When I did visit the place recently, I found the quality of the food nothing to rave about, I was frankly disappointed.
Sadly, being a vegetarian, my list is filled with vegetarian eating joints. The only non-veg lovers joint I know of is the ‘Bai Beef Biryani Kadai’ in Luz. This one is on canal bank road, the lane adjacent to Witco Luz.
Thanks to the readers of this blog, the following are the Non vegetarian gastronomic delights in Chennai mentioned by David and Nandhu
2)Kalpaka Syrian Beef Fry
3)Velu Military Mess (Can someone tell me if this place is just hype or has some substance? Most popular legendry places are just hype and ride on their heritage, quality currently is not great)
4) Bai Beef Biryani next to Witco, Luz.
5)Chicken Pakoda from Kutchery Road
If any of you know anymore popular non vegetarian joints, please add them. The only condition should be that its available only in Chennai. Ponnusamy, might be disqualified if they have overseas branches.