Kanini- Taking Computers to the masses
Kanini is an initiative by the Chennai chapter of Bharat Uday Mission (www.BhumiChennai.co.nr) to take computers to children who do not have access to them
Goal: The program’s goal is to reach out to young children who do not have access to computers, ignite their minds to the endless possibilities of computers, make the children functionally e-literate and help them become productive citizens of the future.
The program is being implemented at:
· Anbu Karangal Orphanage, Thiruvanmiyur
· SOS Village, Tambaram
· Jeroham Orphanage, Madipakkam
The results have been encouraging, and the initiative is likely to be expanded to a few more orphanages soon, depending on our resources.
Kanini Course Structure:
The program aims at teaching the basics of computer science. It comprises of:
1.Theory: Includes the history of computers and its development into modern day systems, basics of operating system and troubleshooting.
2. Practical: Since most of the children would have never used a computer, there are more practical sessions than theory and the program concentrates on giving a hands-on experience. Sessions would consist of MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Paint, etc.), using the Internet – e-mail, searching for information, and the like.
3. Module Test and Feedback: After every module, a test is conducted to help us analyse the children’s understanding of the subject and also get their feed back to re-structure our program for the future.
Duration of the program:
The program, which targets children of classes 7-12, will be spread over 16 days, 2-3 hours per day during the weekends.
How you can help:
· If you have an old computer or even parts of it (even a P3 would do!), you can donate it to one of the orphanages.
· You can join our members in the teaching program.
· Language is not a problem, You can instruct in Tamil/English or both.
· You can start the program at an orphanage or a school for the underprivileged near you.
Hari Shankar : 98400 97583
Dr.Prahalathan : 98841 88018