10 Missing Characters of Chennai…
A few characters that were around in chennai whilst i was a kid who seem to be getting scarce to be seen around by the day. If found please notify here. These people like me have a special place that brings aforth a lot of childhood memories….
1. Kallu Uppu Vyabari – Sells crystal non iodized salt in his push cart on the roads, probably killed by the innovation of tata iodized salt.
2. Night khulfi – Sells Khulfi ice cream after 7PM in a push cart. Price varies from 50 paisa to 10 rupees which buys you a really HUGE khulfi.
3. Koravan/Koraththi – Gypsies who go door to door selling fur of various animals and thaayaththu, anna kayiru etc
4. Rope Walker – Usually small boy/girl walking on a rope with setup in the middle of the road.
5. Korangu Vidhdhai – Ellarum Joora Kai thatti siringo, vedikkai paththuttu 50 paisa oru rooba manasaara pottuttu ponga! Gosh how can i forget these words!!!!!!!!!!
6. Kudu Kuduppai – Fortune teller who apparently has magical powers and has kari naakku. Will say things that will come to life. Comes early in the morning after taking mayyi from mandai odu from the sudu kaadu. “Jakkamma sollara, indha veettula irukkara payyanukku nalla padippu varum”
7. Boom Boom Maadu – Man/Woman with colorfully dressed cow sings and entertains at your doorstep begging for money “Nalla Kaalam Porakkuthu”
8. Tin Cycle – Guy who has a rope tied across in his cycle with a tin on it that makes a rattling sound and he does tricks for money.
9. Javvu Mittai – Sweet candy sold door to door. Candies made out of hand to the design of watch, scorpions, crab etc.,
10. Karadi Vidhdhai – Similar to Korangu Vidhdhai only that this is a black bear. Police action and forest department curbing on poaching probably killed this guys profession.