So, there ‘is’ a plan after all!!!
I just stumbled across this site of CMDA. It seems, they do have a plan for Chennai and related development activities. I was really surprised to see that they have plans till 2026. Wow! I didn’t know India was that far-sighted. In the society around us we see so much confusion and chaos that we often lose track of the future. We see the *system* failing miserably at every instance of life here.
They are calling this plan – SECOND MASTER PLAN. The pessimist in me wonders what happened to the First Master Plan. Wonder if it was fully executed.
Vision 2026 is to make Chennai a prime metropolis which will be more livable, economically vibrant and environmentally sustainable and with better assets for the future generations.
Excerpt from the Introduction document
TOC of Second Master Plan
I found more interesting stuff on the site. Some of these stuff actually gives us hope to continue living in Chennai. Checkout the following links for what you can probably expect in the coming years.
- KOYAMBEDU WHOLESALE MARKET
- DEVELOPMENT OF WHOLESALE FOODGRAINS MARKET
- TEXTILE MARKET
- BIO-METHANATION POWER PLANT PROJECT
- SATHANGADU IRON & STEEL MARKET
- DEVELOPMENT OF SATELLITE TOWN AT MARAIMALAINAGAR
- MADHAVARAM BUS AND TRUCK TERMINAL
- CHENNAI MUFUSSIL BUS TERMINAL (CMBT) AT KOYAMBEDU
- CHENNAI CONTRACT CARRIAGE BUS TERMINUS
- MULTI-LEVEL CAR PARKING COMPLEXES
- AIR SPACE EXPLOITATION OVER MRTS STATIONS IN PHASE-II
- OUTER RING ROAD
- TAMILNADU URBAN DEVELOPMENT PROJECT –III
- LOCAL BODIES ASSISTANCE PROGRAMME
- COMMUNITY BASED ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME
I am really glad that atleast the plans exist. It’s of course an entirely different issue whether anybody is looking at those plans and acting by it.