FM, a stillborn child?
FM in Chennai is a stillborn child. I listen in at all hours and with unfailing regularity get morons on air. Unlike TV, FM can easily go niche. Here’s some things I rarely or never find on radio.
1. Name of movie, singers, composer
2. Talking about the background, popularity of songs
3. In the case of old songs, a little of history
4. Intelligent conversation
5. A theme that runs through the programme. Explanation of of theme through shows.
6. Good interviews. Some of them are done on special days. Recently I liked one with Vairamuthu. So why not one everyday? It doesn’t really have to be a celebrity.
7. Go easy on the contests. I can’t listen to radio if I don’t have a cell. Every programme wants you to sms them or play a game with the host. Get back to the roots. Base it on music. Isn’t that the best bet?
8. Produce the damn show. Just don’t let it run.
9. For Christ’s sake don’t have so many ads, almost all of them produced like junk.
10. We do have great playback music. Mine it. Have archives. A lot of stations don’t have any.
11. It is even worse when it comes to Rainbow. Here’s a channel which is loaded with infrastructure, but has been killed by the bureaucracy.
When FM is in such unreliable, populist (in their minds) hands, is it even a good idea to bring news to FM?