Pathetic condition of road in Saidapet
The residents of Sakunthala street, Subramani street, Mahadevan street, Devamani street and Kuppuswamy street in Saidapet use Sakunthala street for boarding buses at the bus stand near Jayaraj Theatre. All the school students heading to Saidapet corporation school, college students and office goers of the area are facing difficulties in commuting through Sakunthala street because the condition of the road is pathetic.
1. The road has been illegally encroached upon and the drainage in right in the centre of the road.
2. There is no tar road for more than half of Sakunthala street.
3. Unauthorised construction activities continue to happen on the road.
4. Debris and garbage lay scattered on the entire stretch.
5. Anti-social elements park their vehicles in the area and use it as a temporary bar.
6. No freedom for people to walk freely.
Several complaints were sent to the Chennai Corporation via e-mail in June, August and December of 2007 and most recently in February 2008.
These were questions that residents asked the Chennai Corporation. Are we not paying road tax, water tax and drainage tax regularly like any other citizens of Chennai? Will the corporation authorities initiate diligent action?
1. Remove the debris from the road.
2. Keep the road clean so that people can walk on it.
3. Keep the road free of garbage.
4. Do not allow further unauthorised constructions on the road
5. Stop all construction activities happening without approval.
6. Take stern action against local anti-social elements
A reply from an assistant commissioner, Chennai Corporation, stated the following:
Regarding the bad condition of residential street received from Sekar Nagar: With reference to your e-mail message, it is informed that the above reference has been sent to Chennai Corporation for necessary action. Hence, you are requested to approach the Commissioner, Chennai Corporation with this regard.
Concrete action taken till date: NIL
Proof: Visible truth in the heart of busy locality.
(This email was received from Mr Suresh Babu, a software engineer. Only his email Id is available with Chennai Metblogs, which is not responsible for the veracity of the content of this post. Only the reader can confirm whether it’s true or not.)